Report – NBC Bay Area
California’s expensive real estate market and rising gas prices may push some people out of the Golden State, but several cities are among the best in the United States to live, according to a new report from Niche.
The company released its ranking of the best US cities to live in this week, and two California cities made the top 10 – Berkeley and Irvine.
The company looks at affordability, public schools, walkability and the housing market when deciding on a city’s ranking.
A total of 228 cities across the country made the list, with 41 California cities making the cut.
Here are the 10 best cities in California to live, according to Niche:
- Berkeley (ranked #8 in the US)
- Irvine (ranked #10 in the US)
- San Francisco (ranked #14 in the United States)
- Sunnyvale (ranked #16 in the United States)
- Torrance (ranked #23 in the US)
- Santa Clara (ranked #24 in the United States)
- Carlsbad (ranked #30 in the United States)
- Pasadena (ranked #46 in the United States)
- Thousand Oaks (ranked #51 in the United States)
- San Diego (ranked #55 in the United States)
To see the full list (and to see where your city ranks), click here.
As for the best city to live in America? That title goes to The Woodlands, Texas, a city of about 113,000 people just outside of Houston.
Also at the top of the Niche ranking – Cambridge, Massachusetts, Naperville, Illinois, Arlington, Virginia and Overland Park, Kansas.
The city of Fremont has new bragging rights – it’s been named the happiest place to live in all of the United States, according to WalletHub.